Obviously with the win over United I am elated and still running of adrenaline. Finally beating the scum at home after 4 years could almost be as big as winning the Prem. I took two main points from today's result.
1. Liverpool have finally proven that we no longer rely on Gerrard and Torres to win games for us. I was particularly impressed with Aurelio (did well defensivly and provided excellent wing support), Alonso (saw alot of the ball and distributed well), Mascherano (build up run until the goal...phenomenal), Skrtel (nothing got by this guy), and yes, Dirk Kuyt. Although Kuyt missed multiple chances today, his hard work proved vital for today's result. He also provided a wonderful assist.
2. Albert Riera is pure quality. When I saw that we signed him I was overjoyed because I have seen him play a couple of times, and I knew that he would bring the width that Liverpool desperately needed. Watching the game you could notice that the field had more open space which allowed Keane to play the striker role better. Even though he did not score, I think his performance was good and I am confident the goals will come. I was very impressed in Riera's performance today because he showed that he can beat defenders on the run and deliver good crosses, which was left up to Dossena until now (we all know how that was going.) Riera's signing adds a whole new demension to Liverpool's strategy and now I believe the goals will start raking in.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a strange result. We've ranged from mediocre to downright poor in our first half-dozen games, then we go and turn over Man United with ease despite the baggage being carried into the game. I'm not reading too much into it, not least Riera; Gonzalez came with a stellar reputation and he left without one. Still, great stuff.
I was nervous about the game due to our previous performances: playing poorly but somehow winning at the last minute. But after this game I am very optimistic about the season.
Post a Comment